Monday, June 23, 2008

In the beginning....

After 27 years as an obstetrician-gynecologist, an opportunity crossed my desk that was too awesome to pass up: an opportunity to apply for a 20 week tour of duty as a physician in Antarctica. The US Antarctic Program runs three stations on Antarctica. They were seeking physicians for each location.

After successfully negotiating a lengthy screening process including background check, references and credentials verification, I was notified last week that I was selected to be the staff physician at McMurdo Station. The tour of duty runs from October 2008 through February 2009.

In coming posts, you will learn more about the stages of getting ready, training, travel, life and work on station, and returning home.

Many thanks to my wife, Briana, for her flexibility in letting me be away so long. Briana and our daughter, Meris, are very understanding and kind for letting me be absent for Halloween, Thanksgiving, Don & Briana's birthdays, Christmas, New Year's, and Valentine's Day.


No comments: