One doesn't get too upset if something is forgotten when traveling domestically. Usually it can be replaced at the destination. That does not work for this trip. If it is needed and it was not packed, too bad.
Next stop: Denver, Colorado for two days of training. During that time, the IT department will check my computer for viruses and be sure that I have a functioning anti-viral software installed. I'll update this site with more details as they are known, but as of now my anticipated itinerary is as follows:
- 02 Sep – Lynchburg to Denver
- 03 Sep – Training
- 04 Sep – Training in the morning. Depart for airport in afternoon.
- 04 Sep – Denver to LA to Auckland to Christchurch. Arrive in the evening of the same day!
- 05 Sep – Report to the CDC to be issued ECW gear
- 06 Sep – Possibly leave for McMurdo Station
When the plane is in-flight, the weather at McMurdo will be evaluated. If it remains favorable then we continue on. If by the point-of-no-return the weather has become unfavorable, then the plane "boomerangs" and returns to Christchurch and we deplane with just the small carry on bag mentioned above. We will stay in Christchurch until the weather permits another flight. That's why we need the change of clothes. The process repeats itself until we arrive at McMurdo.